Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Learning Fishing Indian Style: On my Alibag- Khandala Route in Maharastra

Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won't feel so thankful then.                             

 

Garrison Keillor

Every traveler and explorer know about how splendid and magical Maharashtra becomes in Monsoon turning the dry mountains into spell bound waterfalls and covering every field and barren area with bright green grass. Nature can be felt during such seasons.

I have written enough about my experience in Maharastra during monsoon while visiting Khandala and Lonavala, Matheran, Khapoli, Alibag and how badly it reminds me of the author Ruskin bond and his essays on Nature


Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life. John Updike

If life becomes too pressing and the world is too much upon me, a walk in the wood and communion with nature helps. I like being with myself and taking a walk in unspoilt surroundings and commune if not with the God, with myself. I believe being close to nature is spiritual experience.   Ruskin Bond

 
Today, I don't have much to say. And as a picture is worth a thousand words, I would like to share pictures more than my experience. During our travel to Alibag last time, our car broke down due to technical failure and it took 2 hours for our driver to find workaround. During this time, we were somewhere in between Alibag and Khandala and decided to explore the countryside. And believe me, it was magnificent. I have never experienced and appreciated nature this much before. When driver call us after repairing the car, I felt intense longing for this place and did not have a heart to leave this place.

As we started exploring, We found group of children trying to catch some fishes. It is something I have seen only in movies and read in novels.

I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge? - Douglas Adams




Me sitting in between

 I talk to them, however it was bit difficult, they were speaking Marathi and we were not aware about any other language other than Indian (Hindi) and Global(English) Language.
 However, they were smart enough to understood us and started showing us how to hold this and catch some fishes.

These kids told us that they generally have treat during monsoon by cooking fish and as well as it provide them some additional business. I have tried 2,3 times and was successful.

Kid having fish in his hand


 
Kid Putting more food at the top to attract fishes


 
Aise hi....

Really, it was one of kind experience. And yes good holidays does not mean huge money. Holidays are all about new experiences of life and to appreciate the life through the lens of other people. Come out of your comfort zone and get your hands dirty in order to have more fulfilling travel experience and thus life.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

your expressions are saying it:)

Harleena Singh said...

Hi Rachit,

Good to see you really enjoying nature to it's fullest, and you surely clicked some lovely pictures too :)

Yes indeed, at times we need to leave all out work aside and just be one to one with nature and see all that it has to offer.

Your post brought good memories of the time when we used to go fishing with my Dad, though to fresh water and man made lakes and sat for hours patiently, waiting for the catch, it surely taught us patience...lol...

Thanks for sharing. Have a nice week ahead :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Harleena for your precious time.

This blog will look forward for your frequent visits.

You might also like: